Friday, September 9, 2011

Fun Friday Find: Support

First of all I need to address the many of you wanting to know how Bug did at her first ballet class.

I would like to fully address the ballet class at a later date in a post dedicated fully to the subject.  So for now, let's just leave it at the fact that the little 45 minutes of "dancing" was everything she had hoped for.  I sent my mom a picture of her in her "uniform" just before entering the class.... huge smile, tiny little bun, pink all over.  My mom responded with something like, "I hope it's as exciting as she thinks its going to be".  By the time I was able to respond to her text, the girls were stretching... the butterfly stretch to be exact.  Bug's face was completely lit up, as she smiled at the teacher (whom she was sitting too close to; purely out of excitement).  When Ms. B called the stretch the butterfly stretch, and said to "flap your wings", Bug thought that was so funny; covered her mouth, shoulders bouncing, eyes squinted, kind of laughter.

I responded to my mom just saying, "they are only stretching and she already looks like she's in heaven!" Much more to follow about ballet, but just know its one of the better investments we have made thus far.

Now... on to my Fun Friday Find.



Next weekend we will be participating in our third JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes.  I know I've mentioned it before, but since I first mentioned it, we have ordered and received our team shirts and started to assemble our team.  It always surprises me how moved I am to see other people show interest in a cause that effects our family.  Whether it's a donation, a word of encouragement, or signing up to walk with us... people are showing their support.

I still have people asking how to sign up and or donate.  You can go to www.walk.jdrf.org and in the spot where it says "donate to a walker" (which you don't have to do, but that is how you get to the sign up page... sneaky of them, isn't it)  you type in Bug's name (Ada) our team name "We the Peeples" and where we are walking (Little Rock).  Then you can follow the steps from there.  The whole process takes about 6 minutes.

Our team also walks to support Bug's uncle who also lives with type 1 diabetes.  We just advertise him less because he's not as little and cute.  But if you know and love Bug's uncle more than you do her own little self, sign up for his sake, because he needs a cure too!  He will be there that morning to greet his adoring public.

I would like to encourage you to sign up online, if you are planning on walking with us, because it will help all parties involved.  I will have a visual to see how many people we are expecting, JDRF will have a visual to see how they did overall this year, and ALSO if we have one of the biggest teams, we get a fancy tent on the day of the walk.  The first year we walked as a team, we had a ton of walkers.  I was so excited, I decorated the tent in our team colors, balloons, streamers, brought snacks.... very exciting.

There will also be fun things for the kids, bounce house, petting zoo, face painting, entertainment on a big stage.... Radio Disney was there last year.

We will start to assemble at 7:30, and we will be walking at 8.  Parking is a zoo, so just decide now that you will not be bothered by that.  The walk is about 3ish miles I think, and after the walk there are snacks, play time, and awards for the kids that raise the most money and win the t-shirt contest.

After all of that... I will make us all take a picture (mostly because the past two years we left and I said, "we forgot to take a picture of everyone!  next year we WILL do that.").  Then you can leave and have a nap.

A fun side note: last year at the walk I was one week away from my due date with Peanut.  I was feeling good that day, so I did half of the walk until I was worn out and hot....... 6 hours later I was in labor at the hospital and delivered a baby sister soon after.

So, sign up and come join us!  I will be delivering t-shirts throughout this next week, so let me know if you want one.... they are already going fast, they are cute, and they are free!

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your blog. My 2yo son, Cooper, was just diagnosed with Type 1 this weekend at Levine. We are still definitely in the overwhelmed/nervous phase (like having a newborn all over again!), but we feel strong and supported and encouraged by those who've walked this path before us. Can't wait to go back and read your archives. I'm sure there are tons of resources here, but if you have anything you think would be particularly helpful for us, feel free to contact (michellecwheeler@gmail.com) or follow along with our story at www.cooperwheeler.com. Thanks again for sharing!! (Jill H. recommended you!)

    ReplyDelete