Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Times of My Life.... For Which I Should Be Awake


This morning I awoke at 4 a.m. to silence, which is not normal. Usually I'm waking to the sound of my phone alarm or the sounds of Peanut talking and laughing to herself in the morning. I looked at the clock and realized I had not only slept past the 2 a.m. blood sugar check, I had somehow turned off my loud alarm and, in my sleep, decided that it was better for me to sleep than check on the insulin dependent in the next room.

I was nervous because the 10:30 p.m. check read 140 which, for Bug, means she has to have a snack to get her through the night. The amount of snack to give does not come in a pretty little "right answer/wrong answer" bow. It's a total guessing game. So, we guessed. We went with two crackers and a few sips of milk and went to bed saying, "I guess we'll see how she is at 2"..... except, as you know, I was asleep at 2 a.m.

So, the 4 a.m. blood sugar check read 60. This is a moment when you want to say a curse word, if that's something that you do. I hate having to wake her, when it's almost morning, to give her a snack. Again, I was back to guessing. Because it was almost time to get up for the day, I didn't want to give her a lot because then I run the risk of her waking up with a blood sugar too high. When she wakes with a high blood sugar, we end up fighting it all day. That fight translates into more than just the numbers..... thirst, hunger, MOOD, potty times. With all that in mind I returned to her room with a juice box and a few 100 calorie pack brownies. She drank all of the juice, almost by accident because she literally inhaled it.... I was selfishly rubbing my eyes and thinking about how I was tired, then looked up and it was gone. Thinking back, it would have been better to go with half the juice box and a few brownies. But instead, she had all of the juice and about 6 of the tiny brownies.

Any guesses on the 7:30 a.m. blood sugar check.... 334! I'm pretty sure I said something like, "boogers!" or some sort of word that is appropriate to use around kids that still expresses exasperation. After some cheerios I gave her a bolus with a correction, (bolus is the amount of insulin we give with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.... determined by the number of carbs consumed and an equation that is plugged into the glucometer. a correction is the amount of insulin I am adding to the bolus in an attempt to bring her blood sugar down.)

It is now lunchtime and we are finally back down to the 200's, thanks to the large amount of rocks and sticks in the yard that needed collecting. Needless to say, I will be finding a new alarm "tone" on my phone... something really obnoxious and undeniable.

No comments:

Post a Comment